For nearly 100 years, the Gilles family has been renowned for its metal craftsmanship.
Its founder, Albert Gilles, was born in Paris in 1895. He was, at the age of 11, introduced to the art of ¨Repoussé¨ (metal embossing) by his aunt, and very quickly, this hobby became a passion. In 1926, he even won the first price for “Arts Décoratifs” in Paris.
Crossing the Atlantic in the 1930’s to benefit from the advantage of the ¨new world¨, he then put his talent to serve famous personalities. In Detroit, he decorated the house of the Fischer brothers of the GM CIE. And of Mr. Mendelson of Chrysler. Then he worked in California for the Universal Studios as a decorator. He received at this time orders from Mae West and Fredric March, actors of the ’30 and decorated the houses of Roy and Walt Disney.
In 1942, Pope Pius XII, mandate him for the creation of a chalice in gold and silver that would be given to the city of Montréal to commemorate the 300 anniversary of it’s foundation.
Then, he emigrated in Canada where he specialized in church decorations. From 1940 to 1960, he decorated many churches, Basilica and Cathedral in Canada and the United States. Were ordered Stations of the cross, doors, tabernacles, communion rails, baptismal funds and more.
Since his death, in 1979, his wife, daughters and granddaughter carry on his work, with the same tradition of excellence.
- Tabernacle de la Basilique Ste-Anne de Beaupré – Tabernacle of the Basilica Ste-Anne de Beaupré
- Mosaïque émaillée, Église de Cornwall – Enamel mosaic, Church of Cornwall (1940)
- Un des tableaux du Chemin du Croix de l’Église de Saint-Féréol des Neiges – One of the panels of the Way of the Cross, Church St-Féréol des Neiges
- Tabernacle Église de Cornwall – Tabernacle of Cornwall church
- Portes de la co-cathédrale de Cornwall – Doors of the co-cathedral of Cornwall
- Porte de l’école de cirque de Québec – Doors of the Circus school of Québec
- Pare feu for Fredric March – Fire screen for actor Fredric March
- Hélène de troie, commandée par Mae West – Helen of Troy ordered by May West
- Calice commandé par le Pape Pie XII offert à la ville de Montréal – Chalice ordered by Pope Pius XII for the city of Montreal
- Autel de l’Église Saint-Sacrement – Alter of St-Sacrement church, Québec